Friday, December 10, 2010

Surprise! Brian David Mitchell found Guilty of the Kidnapping and Rape of Elizabeth Smart

Am I the only person in Utah who isn't surprised that this monster Brian David Mitchell was found guilty of the kidnapping and repeated rape of Elizabeth Smart?  Of course I understand and appreciate the concept that in the US legal system you are innocent until proven guilty, but this trial has never really been about whether or not he kidnapped Elizabeth Smart, instead, it has been about whether or not he is of sound mind.

The defense tried to convince the jury that he was not sane and should therefore not be found guilty of the crime he committed. This is where I have an issue with the legal loopholes in our laws.  I don't believe that anyone who commits this type of crime against another is acting with total mental clarity.  In fact, I believe that anyone who willfully harms another human being unless in self-defense is missing a few marbles.  So to me yes he is out of his gourd.  But does that give him license to commit crime against humanity?  Of course not. He may in fact be a complete loony tune but it doesn't change the fact that he is guilty.


Just because he broke out in hymn several times during the trial does not prove that he does not understand the difference between right and wrong. I guess if your attorneys are trying to convince the jury that you are crazy disrupting the proceedings by singing a hymn may help your case.  But, "Choose the Right" is probably not the best hymn for a guilty kidnapping rapist!

It doesn't matter to me how sane he is or isn't.  What matters to me is that this menace to society will be put away for a long time (hopefully for the rest of his life). And if I were the judge pronouncing sentence to this rapists I would speak the words from that famous Cheech and Chong skit; "Bailiff, Wack his p......" and that would be the end of his days of rape!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've Never FAILED you've never lived.

Blogs that I Follow